Monday 15 August 2011

Moorfoots at the Two Inns Race (Glencoe)

Roving runner Mike Reid reports from Glencoe...

Finally managed to sort myself to be free so headed for this long classic.
http://www.hillrunningscotland.co.uk/hill-running/two-inns-race/

My report should stress I took the 'long' part very seriously and ensured I spent an excessive amount of time to complete the race. Would love to claim this was part of maximising the day.

Excellent race and one I would recommend if you like few paths, real bog for miles on end, sharp non runnable ascents and steep knee jarring descents, just over 16miles and more than 5000ft of climb.

Safe to say I found this very tough and was not helped by losing sight in the mist of the lead pack near checkpoint 3 and then spending the next 1.5hrs trying to find out exactly where I was with a Lochaber runner in tow. He however despite being local had no area knowledge and as I discovered had little understanding of navigation. However we muddled on eventually dropping down off the ridge, to get out of the mist to find out where we were, to then reclimb back to last checkpoint.

Rest of race I therefore paid more attention to the map and slowly reeled in back markers. Think I finished about mid table position but hours behind Al Anthony who won by 2mins from Andy Fallas. (Worth saying they followed a Lochaber local that knew the route and then left him behind on the last climb.)

Julia also ran and finished but I think had similar navigation issues as myself but great effort to complete what has to be the hardest race I have done to date.

Regards...

Mike R

No comments: