Tuesday 15 September 2015

Great North Run

I travelled down to Newcastle for the Great North Run 2015. Got on the road early to get to the Metro near the airport by 8.30.

Got to the start and soaked up the atmosphere. It is amazing to be in race with 57,000 other people including super Mo. I managed to get close to the front and met Dave Nightingale from Gala Harriers so had a good chinwag about all things Borders running.

The day was meant to be overcast which would be ideal but then he sun came out and the temperature  hit 18 degrees. I've always thought that it is never good to get a suntan during a race.

Went off too fast as normal but loved the race although the hills seemed steeper than I remember - must be my age - but was still able to kick on on the straight at South Shields. Managed to finish in 97 minutes a whole 38 minutes behind Mo. The medal ceremonies were being done as I ran in so was accompanied by the National Anthem.

Journey back from South Shields was a nightmare due to Metro problems. I ended up having to get a taxi back and £45 later was back at my car.

All in all a good run marginally spoiled by the Metro. I'll be back next year with a different travel plan.

Paul Nichol

No comments: