Tuesday 25 April 2017

The 'London Marathon Experience' - Kenny 2017

Smile for the camera!
Just don't ask me to talk, think, sit down...
I was totally gubbed !
What a fantastic day !
Record entry of 40K+ runners, records tumbling, sunshine and a 'pb' for me !

Blue pen start, meant I was only 20 metres or so behind the Elite Men who started at the same time and we had to run down the 'VIP strip'...quite a moment...
Steady paced start, comfortable through half way in 1:29, sun out and definitely getting hot. Struggled a bit around 30K (I think everyone did !) out at Canary Wharf/Poplar area as the course zig-zagged around, but rallied again in the final 5K to finish strongly.

Watched the timer flip over from 2:59:59 as I reached the '800m to go' sign - so no sub 3 - and then went for it over the final stretch and crossed the line on 3:03:00 - very pleased with that, and a couple of minutes off my previous best from 10 years ago...

Big thanks for all the support and encouragement from everyone - over £600 raised to date for 'Macmillan Cancer Support'...still time to make a donation if you can...

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kennydavidson

Ballot for 2018 opens on 1-May (closes again 5-May)...go for it !

Training Info...
I found a plan called 'A Just Enough Training Approach' which I didn't follow very closely, but did give me some ideas on "balancing enough training and not getting injured" for blokes of a certain age. I got started training for proper in January...
Moorfoot Tuesday night interval training covered the speed/intensity element (thank you Tuesday night regulars for all the support), the tempo runs were done on either the bike path to Cardrona or around Cademuir, and the long runs were a mixture of road/trail around the periphery of Peebles and further afield. Also did a bit of cycling and some big walking days in the hills for a bit of a change...
Additionally, I scheduled in three races; a 10K (Garscube) and two Half Marathons (Strathaven, Alloa) - these were good 'testers' for pacing, fitness, race sharpness...
Favourite long runs...John Buchan Way in the snow in January, and John Muir Trail (Preston Pans to North Berwick) in February...


No comments: