Monday 18 March 2019

Chapelgill Hill Race

While others were racing at the Deerstalker, Adam Hayward was in action not far from Broughton at Chapelgill Hill Race. Here's his report:


Ever since I started looking at the Scottish Hill Racing website about three years ago, I’ve been fascinated by a small race taking place in March: the Chapelgill Hill race, in Glenholm near Broughton. Last year, it was a Championship race and 130 people took part; usually it attracts around 45 competitors. It caught my eye because of the bald stats beside it in the race calendar: “Distance, 2.6km; Climb, 410m”. There are steeper races: Alva is the same distance, and although it ‘only’ has 385m of ascent, the start involves running round a flat field and through a flattish golf course: the hill that follows is (to me) frightening steep. However, at Chapelgill, for every metre of the outward climb, you only move forwards by just over 3 metres. To me, starting out as a hill runner, that seemed ludicrous.  

Anyway, I didn’t feel like this would be ‘my kind of race’ – I’m a complete scaredy cat when it comes to flying downhill and I have the weakest quads ever – but that’s exactly why I thought I give it a go. I was still convinced it was a good idea when we woke on Saturday morning to see soggy snow drifting down and blanketing the street outside.

By 2pm the snow had abated and been replaced by rain and low cloud, which made Glenholm look absolutely stunning – in an incredibly dreich kinda way – and this was the first race I’ve done where the race organizer registered everyone from the inside of the boot of his estate. At 3, when 40-odd folk were gathered at the start, the rain had eased to a fine mist, the sort that doesn’t seem to be wet until you realise you’re soaking. And then we were off!

No easing into it, no charge across a field to get an optimal position at the start of a narrow hill path: it was just straight up the side of the heathery slope. Everyone pretended to run for the first hundred steps or so, and then it was hands-on-knees stuff. Near the top it flattened out a bit, but to say that I ran this bit would be as generous as saying I charged down the hill: in both cases, my strides got shorter, but I’m not sure I went any faster. After we turned at the top, I juddered on down, overtaking one person to my immense surprise, but the five or six people still ahead of me raced off over the edge and into the mist and I didn’t see them until I wobbled over the finish line.   

I didn’t take any photos or go to the prizegiving in Broughton because I had to dash off home to relieve my partner of our energetic infant, and anyway I was wearing an Ochils vest (though hopefully I’ll be able to fix that before my next race?!). However, if you’d like to simulate the race experience, I suggest stabbing yourself in the thighs with a pair of forks while a friend spritzes water over your face while in the back of a pickup doing about 30mph…but only for about 25 minutes or so. I’m writing this two days after the event and those forks have been replaced by hot forks: DOMS has truly set in and it’s a stark reminder that I need to work on my leg strength before next year’s race! 
Stock photo of Chapelgill Hill



No comments: