Friday 6 September 2019

Ross goes long in the Alps with strong showing at the CCC

Ross Grieve was in the Alps tackling the epic CCC taking you 100km from the start line in Italy, into Switzerland and then finishing in France. Ross had an epic run (getting close to 20hrs!!) and brillant showing 29th out of M50s and 455th overall out of over 2000 starters. The race is clearly tough with over 25% not making it to the finish - 554 DNFs:

I know everyone’s had the experience of standing on a start line, not 100% , nowhere near fully recovered from an injury  and really not knowing  if toeing the line is the right call. That was my start to the 100 Km CCC Ultra Tour de Mont Blanc from Courmayeur - Champex Lac -  Chamonix last  weekend. Pressure off though  and in tourist mode, I was determined to get around in whatever way I could and totally soak up the atmosphere of what’s probably one of the most hyped mountain running events in the world. With 2500 runners starting at 9am , I positioned myself comfortably at the back of the first wave  ( so, 1000th)  and eased into the first of 5 significant   climbs on the course which would eventually accumulate 6000m of ascent. Hiking up the switchbacks was easy, the pace being moderated by the 100s of runners funnelling onto single track  and was just what my tight hamstring needed to warm up. The forest climb soon gave way to open mountain side,  blue skies and coming down from  Tete de la Tronche ( 2584m), we traversed high along the valley with one of the most exceptional panoramas one can imagine, facing the Mont-Blanc and the Grandes Jorasses. I was starting to feel confident that my leg, while sore, was going to let me move freely if I could just keep it easy.

The next climb at the top of the valley - the Grand col Ferret (2537m) marks the entrance of the race into  Switzerland. This was tough  -  the midday heat sapping energy, the altitude  increasing  breathlessness  and dampening the pace. Seemed to be the same for everyone. A quick photo at the top, then a massive 1500m descent down to a warm welcome by the volunteers at La Fouly with shouts of “bravo”, “allez” and “go Ross” ( our names and national flag were on our race bibs).

Not that I was in race mode , but with  quick stops in the checkpoints I discovered later I was now in 500th  and I settled into what was now going to be a bit of grind to maintain the pace and position I found myself in. My first low patch came on reaching the climb up to the half way point  in Champex Lac  - I don’t know who, but someone pulled the plug on my energy and  in a matter of seconds of starting the climb, my arms had no power on the poles I was using , my legs had no drive and it took me everything just to keep moving. I didn’t want to stop as I knew if I stopped once , I’d end up stopping repeatedly  up the climb.

I reached half way at 6pm on 9 hours , a bit battered and glad to take a 25 minute rest . This was the first time I’d looked at my watch and I was pleasantly surprised. 9 hours  was the split I’d aimed for earlier in the summer before I was injured  and had to re-assess my goal. Leaving Champex , I had  another pleasant surprise  - my leg didn’t hurt  anymore and I was able to run without any inhibition!! Maybe I could push a bit and try and move up the field?

The remaining 50K included three 1000m climbs  and descents  with checkpoints in between each climb so I thought it  reasonable to break  this up into two massive efforts , then hang in on the last climb/descent , using the finish line as momentum to get me to the finish.

I had a strong 2.5 hr  up and over effort, passing a fair number of runners now reduced to hiking even the runnable sections,  to arrive in La Giete at 8.40pm in 456th .I  settled into the checkpoint and fancied a chicken noodle soup. A wee bit embarrassing but within seconds of starting to drink, a rush of nausea had me vomiting under the table. I felt immediately better but not sure how I left the runners feeling who were sitting beside me( oops!).

Looking back, I guess I didn’t have the summer of training in me to withstand the push I’d just made and this started what turned into a 90 minute repeat cycle for the rest of the event  -  all I could tolerate was a third of a  banana, a slower moving pace , a gradual build up of nausea, drink water in order to vomit, feel better, eat banana, keep moving  repeat ( x 5!).

With any thought of racing squashed the 2nd of the three climb and descents  was a suffer fest. I kept moving though and   eventually  arrived in Vallorcine at midnight . I found out later that I’d continued to move up the field, now in 428th place. I suppose  I was slowing down slower than others.

Last effort . I made my way along the valley toward the last 1000m climb up to Le Flegere before a final punishing  910m descent to Chamonix and the finish. Ahead of me , I could see the line of headlights making their way up the final  climb and something  curious struck me . I was expecting  to see a zigzag line  of light. Instead , it was a straight  vertical line. Oh no ! This was going to be  punishing. I got to it, moving on fumes now, with just enough power in my legs to step up and clear the steps and ledges, keeping some momentum going and trying to stay  focused on what I can do while other runners were streaming past me.

In all, 27 runners past me in this last section ( felt like 100s). I didn’t have any fight left and started to feel unsafe navigating the technical terrain. I settled into slow and steady and eventually  finished at  4:38 am ( 19 hrs 37mins) in 455th. What I couldn’t believe is that I’d originally set a target of coming in under 20 hrs. Just out of curiosity, I checked the vet 50 category  ( 29th )!!

Oh, one takeaway -  check the photos -  I’ve finally mastered how to pack a  race vest!

Ross

You can check out Ross' race stats here with little videos : https://utmbmontblanc.com/en/live/runner/3584


 


No comments: