Monday 14 May 2012

Loch Leven Half Marathon and Sunderland Marathon

The Williams family travelled to Kinross on Saturday with Fi taking part in the half marathon. In sunny but breezy conditions Fi had a cracking run, recorded a time of 1:43.48 and 22nd female out of 176, and finishing 166th overall. This was a six minute improvement over her time in Jedburgh at the end October, and still on a maximum of two runs a week so good progress! Fi hopes to beat her PB of 1.35 in 2013.


The Sunday before I (Colin) took part in the inaugural 'Marathon of the North' in Sunderland. I had strong hopes of breaking the elusive 3hr barrier after a 3h05 last year in Edinburgh, and a fair fews miles under my belt and a sub 1.23 half marathon six weeks prior. It didn't happen. I can make a few excuses, the course wasn't the kindest being undulating and twisty and turny, with the 50m climb in the last 3 miles but ultimately the marathon is just a bloody tough event and I don't think I'll break 3 hrs without giving it the total respect it deserves, so missing a week of training with 5 weeks to go on a drinking bender with my best friend who was over having emigrated to Canada in hindsight didn't help! 

I did do 3h03.45, which put me in 30th place and although I failed to even spilt which was the plan I still passed 25 people in the second half. It's a pb, and a time I am happy with, but I'm not prepared to give up on 3hrs yet, and am already planning an autumn marathon, maybe the Highland Perthshire Marathon at Aberfeldy on September 1st (www.highlandperthshiremarathon.co.uk - also a half marathon if anyone fancies joining me) and as a backup entering the London Marathon for 2013.

Cheers, Colin

No comments: