Some useful "speedwork" for Sarah McCormack on Saturday evening in the 5000m at the British Milers' Club Grand Prix Final at Bedford as she prepares for the World Mountain Running Champs in Italy on 2 September. A 30sec PB in 15.49 and some good scalps in the process. Athleticos tweets tell the tale -
- 9:32.7 at 3000 metres is splitting them up. Brown still pacing with Walker on her shoulder. Hieblinger-Schultz second.
- Potter has been gapped, but McCormack goes past the Austrian to take second-place. She is on for a personal best.
- McCormack really going nicely in second, just four or five metres behind Walker. A best of 16:39 as recently as 2011.(GN correction - 16.19 in winning Scottish 5000m June 2012.)
- 12:44.8 at 4000 metres for Brown, who is pacing very well. Walker still there and on for 15:56 at the moment.
- McCormack just about onto Brown and Walker now. Hieblinger-Schultz still ahead of Potter.
- Great race on now. Walker and McCormack head-to-head with one lap to go. 14:39.13 at the bell.
- A second wind from McCormack with 200 metres to go!
- 15:49.02 for McCormack! Enormous improvement from the Lancaster University student. 50sec improvement over two years.
- McCormack provided a tremendous sprint-finish, akin to her effort in the 10,000m at BUCS in May, where she beat Jess Coulson.
VIDEO link now available here