Monday 17 June 2013

Edinburgh Seven Hills Race

I did the 7 hills race on Sunday in Edinburgh. I'd done it twice before, but way back in 2004 and 2005 but I remembered it fondly even if I was a bit unsure about the route choice in the city as it's over five years since I'd lived there. It's certainly grown in popularity with all 500 places selling out before hand for the first time. (Enter on the day races seem to be increasingly a thing of the past!).

It was warm but dry and with so many people on the course navigation was easy - the event is split in two, the race and the challenge, with the challenge setting off 30 mins before the race so from about half way you are constantly passing a steady stream of challengers.

I felt like I ran well and was happy with the performance coming in 23rd place in a time of 1:56.29. Results here: http://www.seven-hills.org.uk/results.asp

I was a little frustrated that I listened to the organiser's announcement at the start telling us to avoid the Pollock halls of residence - I diverted around and lost about 30 seconds on those who I'd been running with. It's the sort of race where local knowledge pays! Anyway I managed to knock 30 minutes (and 2 seconds) off my course PB from 2005!


Photo taken on Blackford Hill with me being a bit theatrical

No comments: