Monday 27 May 2019

Ross Grieve at the Hardmoors 110 mile Ultramarathon

Ross Grieve was running a very very long way this weekend with a simply unbelieveable run (and he never seems to stop smiling)!

Here's how the event website describes the race: https://www.hardmoors110.org.uk/hardmoors-110/

The Hardmoors 110 Ultramarathon follows the dramatic Cleveland Way National Trail encircling the North York Moors and the Cleveland Heritage coastline.
Commencing in Filey, competitors will have a time limit of 36 hours to complete the 110 mile single stage trail race, following the stunning Cleveland Heritage coastline visiting the seaside resort of Scarborough, the old smuggling town of Robin Hood’s Bay, Dracula’s Whitby, Staithes, Runswick Bay and Saltburn, before passing through the beautiful Cleveland Hills and the North York Moors  before finishing in the market town of Helmsley


Ross' Report:
Another plug for Moorfoots in the ultra scene and a wee one for me ( quite enjoying my wee string of vet 50 podiums!!)

Anyway -  came 5th overall ( 4th male , missing podium by 22 mins…..ach!) and 1st vet 50 on the Hardmoors 110 this weekend, coming in on 25hrs and 43 mins  – a gruelling 112 miles and 6000m elevation gain on the Cleveland  Way.

I’m delighted again and very curious to know what might have happened, as I lost 20 minutes going slightly off route with about 20 miles to go….and went on to  gain on the  3rd place finisher !! Made for an exciting ending to watch on live tracking .

It was a great weekend away . I had my family and two other families supporting me . Jackie, my wife, was key support driver  and logistics person ( all I needed to do was run) getting me to Filey for  an 8am Sat . Kids were a blast, ringing cow bells and generally being really excited to be included at Saltburn ( half way mark) then at Helmsley for the finish ( I love the photos attached) . 3 support runners (2 Dad’s and a mum) getting me through the night section and onto the finish at Helmsley at 9.45am Sun   -  I basically just handed over my brain and did what I was told  -  “run now, hike this bit, eat that, drink this….ok”

All good fun

Oh….. and 6 lbs lighter !

Ross




No comments: