Sunday 30 August 2015

Barry Buddon Half Marathon & Teviotdale 10k

Colin headed to the Barry Buddon army camp by Monifieth, a few miles east of Dundee to take part in the East District Half Marathon championships. 

I had high hopes of a fast time as the course is described as 'This race offers an excellent chance of a good time, being a flat, traffic-free course, on good-quality tarmac.' I can't comment on the quality of the tarmac but it was certainly flat. I had high hopes of breaking 1.20 having recorded 1.21:20 in Liverpool back in March and training had been going well. I only managed to hold the 6.05 min mile pace for the first three miles and it soon dawned on me that it was never really on and slipped off the pace from then on. I don't have a reason for this but it wasn't helped by the fact it was a windy day and the course is exposed as it sticks out in to the Firth of Tay.
I managed to hold my own compared to those around and was running in a group of four into the last mile and managed to squeeze ahead of the them finishing in 1.22:18 in 15th place overall (out of 286 finishers). Results here I think I have been the first M40 from an East District club but the results are a bit confusing as the race itself only awarded a M50 prize and I left before the prize giving.

Darin Dougal was also in action today and took part in the Teviotdale 10k he was 6th overall in 37:53 and scooped the M40 prize. Results here

No comments: