Wednesday 25 September 2019

Paul Nichol runs Scottish Half 2019

Paul raced the Scottish Half Marathon on Sunday in East Lothian and had a fabulous result finishing 6th in his age category - here's his report:
David and Ruth Hinks with Paul after the race - I don't think he wore flip flops for the run!
In March 2014 at Alloa I ran my best half marathon in 1.30.39. A good time but I was gutted to miss the magic 90 minutes and however hard I’ve tried I haven’t come that close to it again.

So reflecting on the words of Albert Einstein “doing the same thing and expecting different results is madness” I decided to do something different.

I signed up to Scott McDonald’s coaching and followed the plan he set out including the dreaded intervals which I have dodged at every opportunity.

So I set off from Tranent with a plan for the first time. As long as I could average 4.15 per km I would make it. I always find the start of races a faff and hate hanging around but the race starts at a sports ground so what could be better. I got there nice and early and stretched and warmed up on the track and scoffed a banana. TBH it was maybe a bit too close to the start time as I would find out later.

I got into my pen doing my nervous kitten routine and ran the first km in 4.07 which may have been too fast but felt ok I went through the first 10k spot on time. Not sure whether it’s because I’m not used to running that fast or cos the temp went up (the sun was shining - not as per forecast) but I felt sick (remember the banana) after 10k and slowed down. The wheels came off about 17k when the legs felt tired and the brain was at the finish which was actually very nice because it was at the grandstand at the racecourse.

I came in at 1.32.36 which was 203rd overall out of 2800 and 6th in my category. Even though it wasn’t what I wanted it was 2 mins better than the Edinburgh half which I would argue is a faster course and is moving me in the right direction. Marginal gains and all that.

What next then. Well I am looking to do a London qualifying time at York on the 20th Oct. That’s 3.20 for my age (57) so wish me luck. Scott and I have a plan :)

Full results here and action photos

No comments: