Monday 21 September 2020

Holy Island Marathon, Lower Burnmouth to Holy Island September 5th - Andrew Dancer wins

Andrew's report following a fantastic run earlier this month:

 

Beautiful Morning to take part in my first organised event since February’s Glentress Marathon. This event is a bit special regardless of current restrictions; in that it is a low key event organised by a London Running Club as part of their annual trip up to Northumberland (organiser originally from Penicuik). I would thoroughly recommend you look to enter this next year, but be very quick (https://www.evrotasrunning.com/) to enter when announced.
Numbers are always kept low to gain permission from the Holy Island community to race across the Pilgrims Route at low tide. So with Covid restrictions there were approximately 40 people starting from Lower Burnmouth north of the border at 7.30am.
A 4am start for me to travel across and be rewarded with a cracking sunrise. The race begins running from Lower Burnmouth harbour, up and onto the coastline, and then following the trails and beaches to Berwick Upon Tweed and then on through Northumberland. Very twisty and undulating, with some nice big sand dunes and long beach running sections.
Once reaching the beginning of the causeway by Holy Island, you divert across the pilgrims way, following the wooden polls across the 3 mile stretch, wading through water whilst being “serenaded” (sounds like Newcastle Bigg Market at chucking out time) by around 100 seals. Then a loop of the islands beaches and sand dunes (not usually the case but this year to avoid residential areas we were routed that way) before finishing by the priory on the island.
The race went well for me. As I was soon at the front by myself (small field remember) I decided not to look at my watch throughout and just run to the comfort of my breathing (I’d recommend people to do this often rather than constantly rely on technology to tell you its interpretation of how well you are performing). Seemed to work well as the first 20 miles I was running at roughly under 7 mins pace which was pleasing before the crossing to the island and sand dunes bumped me up to 9mins miles. 3hrs 18 on the clock at the end and a huge bottle of Lindisfarne Mead, which was quickly gifted away to my parents for their support on the day.
Beautiful part of the world, tough little bugger of a route. Wonderful team behind the organisation of this event in a tough environment to host. Pics show the sunrise, posing before crossing the Pilgrims way, and wee goodie bag at the end. 😉

 




No comments: