Monday 21 October 2024

World Sprint Triathlon Championship report by Mike Goddard

 World Triathlon Championships (Sprint distance) 2024

Torremolinos, Spain

17 October 2024

Mike Goddard’s Ramblings


Introduction

This was my 9th world triathlon championship representing Great Britain in the age

group team, some Standard distance, some Sprint distance. I prefer and seem to do

better at the Sprint distance which is flat out the whole distance (hence racing at

threshold level) and is more technical (drafting allowed, transitions more important

etc).

This was also the first time I achieved the gold position and could claim to be ‘World

Champion’! And together with winning the European Championships in September,

this has been a bumper year. The closest in the past was 4th in 2012 at Aukland, New

Zealand.

The Race

Swim

My swim wave comprised some 100 swimmers of which around 30 were in my age

group. The conditions were challenging with a strong cross shore wind producing a

significant swell and difficult sighting of the buoys. The course was nearer 1000m

than the normal 750m of a sprint triathlon distance. I came out of the swim in 15 th

position and somewhere in the middle of the field. The sighting was difficult,

particularly on the outward leg with no sighting buoys for more than 400m and the

swell pushing us to the left of the optimum line. Breathing was every second stroke

due again to the side on direction of the swell. Felt a little stressed with the

challenging conditions but managed to settle down to a rhythm which got me through

this, my weakest discipline, without losing too much time.

Transition One

There was long run in from the swim to the bike in transition one, around 400m. This

suited me and with the second fastest transition I overtook several competitors. The

transition to bike went to plan with a rapid removal of my Yonda wet suit and rapid

bike mounting with the bike shoes pre-fixed to the cleats with rubber bands. Getting

the feet into the shoes while cycling could have been better though.

Bike

The 4th fastest bike time was good. The 2 lap course had one long hill and a number

of technical 180 degree turns. I only managed some sporadic drafting mostly on the

first lap. Lesson learnt here was to be in the middle of a pack, not at the back, since

if you fall off the back you will rarely be able to make up the lost distance. Felt good

but a little lacking bike fitness which can be improved.

Transition Two

Again second fastest with a good dismount and bare foot run into the transition area.

No problem finding the bike (among over 1000 bikes!) which was well marked with

my pink running shoes! Some fiddling with putting the shoes on since they are not

designed for the triathlon, however on balance a top of the range short course run

shoe (which mine are) will more than make up any lost time putting them on.

Run

The run has been my strength in recent triathlons and this one was no different being

some 30 seconds to 3 minutes faster than the nearest rivals, and allowing me to

overtake all the remaining participants and finish the overall race in gold position.

However, I was not really aware of my position only that I was overtaking fellow

runners rapidly and this in itself generates the adrenaline! Slightly worrying was my

real exhaustion in the last km of the run and I felt I had nothing more to give. Luckily

and unknown to me I was already in the lead and could perhaps have relaxed a little!

Summary

To win a World Championship, especially after winning the European Championship

four weeks before, felt amazing. The competition is fierce and there is no easy win,

so to win both major championships in the same year felt really special, an almost

surreal and once in a lifetime achievement. There is major respect from fellow

competitors and the public at large but I don’t think many really realise just how

much work goes into it! I am lucky to have a superb team of coaches and

supporters.

Thanks to Moorfoot Runners, especially our Seniors Coach, Gillian Carr, and runners

Dean, Pete, Alex, Jen, Tim, Carol and many more who have all had a massive

influence on my running fitness. This has been absolutely crucial in the above

results and it is not an exaggeration to say that being the fastest triathlon runner in

the world in the M75+ age group this year has been ‘the’ most important factor which

cements together all the other many aspects of a successful triathlete.

Thanks hugely also to Colin Hill of Ullswater Swim Place who has quickly recognised

that swimming is not my forte and identified that learning to relax in the water, as well

as swim technique at his endless pool and in Ullswater itself, are the keys to a

successful triathlon swim. I may never win a swim race but finishing without losing

too much time is important. Thank you Colin.

Crucial for any successful triathlete is to stay injury free and a major part of this for

me has been the weekly pilates with Ross Grieve. It is no coincidence that since

taking on the pilates with Ross some 2 years ago I have (touch wood!) not had any

injury, no not one, for those years, and prior to that I cannot remember such a length

of time in my 14 years of triathlon training when I have been injury free. So thank you

Ross for your skill and patience.

All triathletes, no matter their background, need a coach who can look at the bigger

picture. And Alan Cardwell of TriathlonworkX does that for me. He has known me

for most of the last 14 years, provides me with a weekly schedule, is an expert in

everything triathlon (particularly the bike), and puts up with my endless vicissitudes

of training and racing. Of course we may disagree at times (I am older but not

necessarily wiser) but he understands and we get on with it. Thank you Coach.


So that concludes my 58th triathlon in 14 years of competition and it is going to be

impossible to better it!

No comments: