Wednesday 12 July 2017

Moffat Gala Run 15km report

Three Moorfoots made it to Moffat for their annual 15km Gala Run - Scott McDonald, Colin Williams and Lucas Cheskin.
Setting off
It is a very challenging course - the first 3.75 miles undulates with a subtle but gradual rise of 350 feet.  This is followed by the most challenging part of the route, just under one mile of steep, rutted & stony farm track rising 550 feet. On reaching the top, there is a spectacular 4.6 mile downhill descent back into Moffat town centre on the A701.
The race started with Lucas setting off a blistering pace in a lead group of 3. Scott also set off very swiftly chasing the lead with another runner, while I (Colin) settled into the 'pack'. Scott maintained a very competitive pace throughout the run and finished in 4th overall in a new course PB of 57.27 and won the V50 prize (keeping the unbeaten V50 streak going!). A fantastic display and this race seems to really suit Scott. 

The closest I got to Scott!

Scott floating along
Lucas unfortunately struggled and pulled up on the steep climb. I was running in a group of the 5th - 12th placed runners and had the feeling of them all slowly passing me and pulling away - the steep climb shook if up again and I gained several places but it all came to nothing as the I simply couldn't maintain the 5:30 minute mile pace on the 4 mile downhill section as they all seemed to overtake me again. I recognised one runner as she passed me - Joasia Zakrzewski who has represented GB at 50km and 100km on the road and the Trail World Championships, and Scotland in the marathon at the Commonwealth Games (2.39 PB) - and exchanged a few words:

me: "this must just be a training run for you"
JZ: "yes - I was helping with the 24 hour Munro record over the weekend, and ran 12 Munros" !!

She had helped Jim Mann in his 24 hour Munro record with 30 tops in 22hr 18min . She then dropped me on the descent and I came in in 11th place in 59.08 (5th Vet - 2nd MV40). Full results here

Junior Races were held beforehand either 1 mile or 2.5 miles depending on the age and Alice came 3rd in the 7/8yr old girls and was very chuffed!

All in all a very well organised event on a lovely evening and highly recommended

No comments: