Sunday 21 June 2015

Three Eildons Hill Race & Muckletoon Trail Half Marathon

There was a good Moorfoot turn out for the Three Eildons Hill Race, the third of the Summer Series.
It was won in a time of 38.06 by Ian Gilmore of Carnethy. First home was Andy Cox in a very competitive 8th position (41.15) a few seconds Brian Marshall who recently won Yethom Hill Race. Next home was Darin Dougal (14th, 43.37), Lucas Cheskin (21st, 45.56); Alan Elder (37th, 52.26); and David Cheskin (42nd, 55.07). I'm guessing there would have been some high finishes in the respective age categories but the results don't show this:
http://galaharriers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Gala-Harriers-Eildon-Three-Hill-Race-20th-June-2015-results.pdf

I (Colin) made the trip to Langholm instead to take part in the Muckletoon Trail Half Marathon. In previous years Andy, Craig and Kenny have all done this race and said what a scenic course it was and I can only agree. The added lure of Danny Macaskill doing his bike tricks at the Muckletoon Adventure Festival basecamp provided the incentive to make it a family trip.
I had a good run and am delighted to have finished 2nd in 1.38.57, 25secs behind the winner for the 13 mile and 540m ascent course (here's the track from my garmin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/809861320). I was well dropped by a group of the three leaders after about 3.5 miles. I timed them 50 secs ahead with about 4 miles to go and accepted they were well gone but then the wheels fell off one of them and I took the gap in an mile or so and then I went passed the 2nd place runner with two miles to go but I couldn't close the gap any more on the leader who stayed strong to the end.
The prizes were awarded by Danny Macaskill so my children think I am pretty cool!

1 comment:

Burnie Caffs said...

Well done Colin - Almost your second win in as many weeks!