Wednesday 13 April 2022

20k Buttermere Trail Race - 20th March 2022

Tim Warner did the 20k Buttermere Trail Race -  20th March 2022 https://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/buttermere10
 
A ‘round-the-lake’ race is always satisfying, and this is a classic Lake District trail going round both Buttermere and Crummock Water. It stays at low level, with an alleged 234m total ascent, so even in late March it shouldn’t be too hostile.
I opted for a Grand Day Out in the Lakes, rather than making a weekend of it, and it was a great start with the sun rising into a clear sky as I travelled the icy road to Moffat. With a brief pit-stop at Gretna Services it took just two and a half hours to reach Buttermere.
Registration was quick and easy, the cafe had opened early and there was plenty of time for last-minute stuff and a blether before the 10:00 start. Despite the deep blue sky and sun there was a stiff cold breeze coming straight at us, so this race would start with full jacket and gloves. A few miles in there was more shelter, and the top kit went into the backpack. By now it was obvious this would be 20k of running with a big smile on my face. The deep blue of the lakes reflected the blue sky, with green, orange and brown hills in between. Just perfect. The terrain was brilliant for running too - tough in places but very satisfying. The voice in my head reminded me to watch my footing - but by concentrating hard I managed to take in the scenery too.
There was only about 50m of this course which had no view, and that was the tunnel we ran through after the first mile. Underfoot it was everything - rough stone trail, gravel tracks, tree-rooty woodland, shingle beaches and peat bog with stone slabs. Lots of peat bog, and some of it knee-deep. But there was always another stream to wash the shoes. This was an undulating route, with most ascent in the second half, most notably a stone step path climb up the hillside. And only a few hundred metres of tarmac in total!
Any faults? Well, runners at the pointy end might be frustrated by a bit of congestion at stiles in the first half-mile (for those of us further back this was a chance to catch the breath and enjoy some craic). And for slower runners like myself, the cafe at the finish was very busy by the time I got there. Otherwise, this was a fine race for trail runners of all abilities who just want to enjoy a day in good company in great surroundings. A good value, no frills but plenty of thrills, event. Would I do it again? For sure, though I’d try to take a fast companion who could get my food order in for me for when I finished. Nearly 200 runners, fastest 1h22m, slowest just over 3h.
 
 





No comments: