Saturday 9 April 2022

Paris Marathon Reports - April 2022 - Robbie Devlin & Oli Jepsen have fantastic debut marathons

Fantastic debuts by Oli and Robbie in Paris - massive congrats to both for 2:46 and 3:15 times respectively! Reports below

Robbie’s report:

On Sunday 4th April I finally took the plunge and completed my first every marathon, in Paris. The weekend was a bit chilly but it was dry and sunny on the day – perfect conditions for us Scots!


The race course starts on the Champs Elysees, just a little down from the Arc de Triomphe. From there, the race takes you past the Louvre and through an amazing park – Bois de Vincennes – where there is a huge chateau. Having been to Paris before, this was a new place for me and will add it to my list of places to visit when I go back (apparently it was designed by Napoleon III). You then loop back, run along the Seine and past the Eiffel Tower. The whole route was full of people coming out to support the runners – I even saw a couple of Scotland flags.

For my first time, I found the first 22 miles fine but really struggled with the final 4 miles. Despite that, I managed to finish the course in 3:15:46, which I am very happy with. Also, pleased to report that I am not put off marathons for life and am already looking into what my second one could be. Open to suggestions…



 Oli Jepsen report

After moving temporarily from Peebles to Paris (an obvious move given the alliteration), I knew I’d need something to keep me motivated and Seine whilst living in a city: something other than pastries and the Mona Lisa. I figured I would kill several birds with one stone and run the local marathon. In doing so, I would stay entertained, scratch my ever present exercise itch and sûrement, I could finally call myself a proper runner having done a road marathon.
So, I replaced Janet’s Brae for the Bois de Vincennes, Hamilton Hill for the circuit du polygone and under the guidance of Peebles local and running coach extraordinaire, Scott McDonald, became an addict of pace and intervals. The process worked and not only did my psych remain despite a lack of available bike laps at the Golfie, I got fit.
With an ill-advised taper of ski touring and family walks, I lined up with 38,000 others on a cold and sunny day and ran my first marathon. In spite of being one of only a few around me not in super-Nikes, I absolutely loved it. Well, the first half anyway - that was full of uplifting live music, great crowds and beautiful streets. By 28km however, the wheels had fallen off - or more accurately, semi-deflated - and I suffered through the last 15km, unable to muster any more speed for anything other than the last fifty yards. I was pleased to have finished within my sub-3 hour target but disappointed to have had a brush with the proverbial Wall.
The wonderful atmosphere along with the runner’s obligatory discontent has probably left me up for another season of flat tarmac intervals whilst I await a return to hill repeats up Venlaw.
More annoyingly was that I’d only beaten my target by 14 minutes, Julie (soft ‘J’) - the reason for my presence in Paris - managed to beat hers by 16, essentially pipping me on the line. Home soil advantage. 




Official results here:

Robbie https://resultscui.active.com/participants/41922573

3:15:46

Oli  https://resultscui.active.com/participants/41917207

2:46:29




No comments: