Sunday 18 April 2021

April 23rd to 25th? Friday – Sunday : Ross' backyard ultra charity event- 4 mile loops from Glentress Buzzard’s nest carpark

Moorfoot Ross Grieve is going for an epic ‘backyard ultra’ for charity in Glentress forest starting 3pm Friday 23 rd April doing as many 4 mile loops every hour on the hour, he can do for as long as he can go – probably two days and nights if all goes to plan which would be well in excess of 100 miles and possibly north of 150!!!

Also he’ll be supported by Richard Edge for the first 50 miles + which will be Richard’s first 50 – 60 mile “ event” as he’s had 2 Highland flings now cancelled and the Lakes Traverse which Richard, Ross and Paul Nichol (also supporting) were supposed to do this weekend 

Details from Ross:

Hi everyone,

From April 23-25th , I'm going to do a wee backyard ultra as a virtual kiltwalk charity event for the organisation I work for ( Thistle Foundation). I’m going to repeat a 4 mile forest loop in Glentress, starting up at Buzzard’s nest car park ( see map below) , leaving on the hour every hour for as long as I can starting 3pm Friday 23rd April. I’m planning a hike/ jog strategy which should get me around the loop in about 50 mins with 10 mins recovery before starting again. I don’t know how far I’ll get but I’m confident, assuming nothing untoward happens, that I’ll get through Friday night and into Saturday (Richard Edge is starting with me and he’ll cover the first 60 miles then Paul Nichol will help with the early Sat morning hours - thanks guys!). Moving through Sat night into Sunday will be new territory for me, [100-150 miles + !!]  so I’ll find a way to get a progress update onto facebook on Saturday and if I’m still on the move I’d be very grateful for some company to keep me going!!

Thistle is an Edinburgh-based charity and supports people with long term health conditions in Scotland to self manage and live life as well as possible. Thanks to those who’ve already sponsored me - I see a couple challenges have been set ( an extra £x/ loop for every loop done after …. !!!) . Here’s the link below if you'd be keen to donate.  https://virtual.thekiltwalk.co.uk/fundraising/ScotlandsVirtualKiltwalk2021-RossGrieve

More info on Thistle :  https://www.thistle.org.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/thistlefoundation/

Ross


 

No comments: