Monday 26 April 2021

Ross Grieve's backyard ultra summary

Here's Ross Grieve's summary from his epic weekend backyard ultra for the charity Thistle

Full details of the challenge here: http://moorfootrunners.blogspot.com/2021/04/april-23rd-to-25th-friday-sunday-ross.html - in summary he started 3pm Friday 23 doing as many 4 mile loops in Glentress every hour on the hour, for as long as he could.

You can still donate here: https://virtual.thekiltwalk.co.uk/fundraising/ScotlandsVirtualKiltwalk2021-RossGrieve

What a fantastic weekend -  a great fundraiser for Thistle.

here’s a few highlights and I’ll put something more together once I’ve recovered  a bit but quickly….

An amazing carnival atmosphere on Friday afternoon, evening  then again Sat. well-wishers  popping up, my Thistle colleagues setting up a stall,  runners joining in . noise, fun, cowbells !!
I noticed  early effects of heat and dehydration Friday evening and struggled to get back in control of body systems through the night. Andrew  Dancer did a sterling  night shift ( 11pm -5am), keeping me going and trouble shooting with me , what we might  try next to get back on top of things ( I’ll mention all the helpers in my post) . We agreed an hours break at 5 am might help reset and give me a chance to absorb some food,. From 6am through to 1pm   nausea gave way to persistent vomiting  and by 1 pm   , I was so depleted , I made the decision  to take 2 hours off, then by 3 it was very clear I wasn’t recovering , so decided to put a halt and let my next crew and support runners know I wasn’t continuing  . I went home to sleep, woke up, felt replenished and went back up to quietly run another 40 miles with a couple of friends on Sunday stocked with bovril,  salty popcorn and electrolyte  replenishment powder !!

Here’s some interesting  stats.


I ran 124 miles ( 84 up to Sat, 40 on Sunday)  finished 8.30 pm Sunday night .

I had continual company with a total of 550 miles being accumulated throughout the weekend

Youngest on the course  -  2 years old ( one mile)

Youngest completing one loop ( 8 years  -  Richards daughter Emily on Sunday afternoon)

Oldest  -  78 years ( Mike Pearson)

Mantra over the weekend ( I’ll just do another loop with you)

Inspiring moments

Moorfoots juniors joined me on Friday evening, then had a presence again on sat.

Luke ( my son, 13 ) covered a half marathon distance

Richard Edge completing his 52 miles

Drew Moore completing a marathon

Mike Pearson  joining me on Sunday morning

Richards daughter, Emily (8) running a loop Sunday afternoon

Two police officers finishing their night shift and joining me at 3 am for a loop !!!


 

No comments: